Berkey Water Filters & Purification Systems - The Most Delicious, Freshest, Healthiest Drinking WaterBerkey®
Systems are the World’s Most Powerful and Economical Personal emergency Water purification Systems Providing Reliable and User-friendly Water Purification in Both Normal and Hostile Filtration Environments.
systems are capable of purifying both treated water and untreated raw water from such sources as remote lakes, streams, stagnant ponds and water supplies in foreign countries, where regulations may be substandard at best. So powerful, this system is able to remove food coloring from water without removing the beneficial minerals your body needs. Perfect for everyday use and a must in hostile environments where electricity, water pressure or treated water may not be available.
Berkey® Natural Purification Systems are the ultimate in water purification and the ideal personal protection and traveling companions. Used worldwide for normal, hostile and emergency environments to provide the purest, sparkling clean water possible...
For generations, health-conscious people around the world have recognized that the foundation to a healthy life and healthy body is clean, fresh drinking water. This important essential element is the basis for enjoying your longest, healthiest life. No amount of vitamins or supplements can substitute for the vital life-sustaining properties found in nourishing, healthful drinking water. It is truly the foundation of life.
Unfortunately, securing your access to good tasting, sparkling, wholesome drinking water can be harder than you might expect. Water is often laced with chlorine, lead, high levels of harmful bacteria, and other unwanted chemicals and contaminants. Frequently these produce unpleasant tastes and odors. Even bottled water can contain these same contaminants, and moreover it is very expensive that is why emergency water storage is so important. Other filtration systems are inferior. Most do not remove pathogenic bacteria and many remove the beneficial minerals that your body needs.
Perhaps that’s why Berkey® systems have long been recognized as the world’s ultimate in water purification. This simple, highly effective method of using gravity was developed almost 200 years ago... yet it still produces some of the finest, most healthful drinking water available.
Feature & Benefits
Berkey® Really is the Ultimate in Water Purification
- HEALTHY – Berkey® systems are far superior to other filtration systems because they remove harmful pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites as well as unhealthy chemical contaminates and impurities while leaving in the essential minerals your body needs. Berkey® systems produce virtually the most healthful, clean and delicious water available.
- CONVENIENT – Berkey® systems assemble in minutes without tools, electricity, water pressure, or plumbing. What’s more, they are simple to operate and maintain.
ECONOMICAL – Berkey® systems are easily the most economical water purification system you can own. Their unique design allows you to easily remove and re-clean the purification elements over and over again.
- POWERFUL – Berkey® systems can easily purify ordinary tap water, yet are so powerful, they efficiently purify raw, untreated water from such sources as remote lakes and streams. What’s more, Berkey® systems are the ideal water purification systems to have on hand in the event of natural disasters such as blackouts, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes as well as local or national emergencies when treated tap water may not be available.
- FLEXIBLE – Berkey® systems are so convenient and easy to use, you can take them anywhere: on vacations, hunting and camping trips, college dorms and they are ideal systems for RVs and pleasure craft.
- ELEGANT – The elegant high-grade polished 304 stainless steel design makes Berkey® systems an attractive addition to any kitchen or home yet each system is both rugged and durable.
- PROVEN HISTORY – The high quality and effectiveness of the Berkey® system has stood the test of time. This gravity filter system has been used by relief organizations such as UNICEF, the Peace Corps, Red Cross Societies Internationally, missionaries and relief workers in over 140 countries throughout the world.
Long Term Emergency Water Storage Options
In most emergency situations, fresh drinking water is the most important item you can store. It is recommended to have both portable and stationary emergency water storage. Portable water storage tanks should be light enough to carry during an emergency. Be sure to take into consideration that water weighs 8 lbs per gallon. Preparedness authorities recommend storing at least 14 gallons of water per person. This would mean a family of 4 would want to store approximately 56 gallons of emergency water (remember to store both stationary and portable). There are many types of containers and options available for storing water for long term. We carry a large selection of water storage tanks and emergency water purification products.
Water Storage Containers
Heavy-duty, thick, polyethylene food grade plastic barrels are great for emergency water storage. These barrels are normally blue (color is important, blue means water is being stored, red would mean fuel or flammable liquid is being stored, and colors other than blue may not be food grade plastic
) and normally come in sizes that range from 15 to 55 gallons. It is recommended to store these barrels in a dark and cool area, such as a basement or food storage room. Most barrels can be stored outside, although it is not the best place and it is recommended to take certain necessary precautions. During the winter you have to take into account the freezing factor. When water freezes it expands. If there is not enough room at the top of your barrel, it can cause your barrel to become disfigured or may even crack. It is recommended to only fill the barrel 9/10 the way full if you plan on storing it in a place that freezes. Storing your barrel outside could have an effect on the life of the barrel. It is not recommended to store any water container in direct or indirect sunlight.
One of the best emergency water storage options is the metalized plastic bag in a boxed water kit. The metalized bag is filled with water and then placed in a cardboard box. The water is kept from light, limiting any bacteria or algae growth. These kits are great because they offer an easy to use and versatile portable water system. The boxes can double as a sanitation kit (emergency toilet) and a carrying case for transporting water.
A smaller version of the metalized water bag system is the water pouch of purified drinking water. Each pouch contains approximately four to eight ounces of water that can be stored for more than five years. This would be an alternative to heavier containers as a minimum ration for small children, but it would not be a viable water source in place of larger containers.
Two-liter pop or juice bottles are also a good option for inexpensive water storage. Be sure to clean them well and store in a cool and dark area. Light and warmth will promote algae and bacteria growth. Over time these water containers can breakdown and leak. It is recommended to not store them next to food or other items that can be damaged by water. Heavy water storage tanks should always be stored close to ground level and secured to prevent breakage or possible injury in the event of any earthquake or natural disaster. Be sure to store these water containers away from any harmful chemicals. It is not recommended to use milk jugs. These jugs are biodegradable and can break down within a short period of time.
Tips and Suggestions
- Water can be found during an emergency from several different places around the house including the water heater, ice cubes in freezer, and as a last resort, the reservoir tank in your toilet (not the bowl).
- Treat water with bleach before you use your water during an emergency. It is recommended to use 4 drops of bleach per quart of water.
- Rotate your water once a year for freshness. Some people choose April or October as times to rotate, but remember the following statement: “If your water is free of bacteria and if you keep it in clean, tightly closed containers away from sunlight, it will remain safe indefinitely.”(Ensign October 1991, p. 71)
- Water storage tanks can be stored in many different places such as closets, underneath beds, etc.
- Hot tubs and swimming pools are possible water sources, although extreme precaution and education is recommended before using this option.
- Glass containers are not recommended for water store because they can easily break during an emergency.
- Available emergency water purification filters and purifiers treat from 26 to as much as 60,000 gallons of water. These items are a must to have in addition to your portable and stationary water storage to insure water for your family.
- If space and money is a concern, start small and gradually build your water storage as you build your food storage.